Wednesfield Methodist Community Church is a coming together of three other Churches in 1983.
Church in Rookery Street built in 1825
(A photograph of the old chapel around the 1920’s.) It was claimed to be the first offshoot from Wolverhampton Darlington Street Methodist Circuit at that time and used for worship until Trinity Church was opened in 1887, when the building was used for a School.
The building was turned into an Electric Theatre from about 1912 then in 1931 changed to the Ideal Cinema which locals called ‘the Smack’. It was smaller than the purpose built Regal cinema and the last film to be shown was in 1957. For a short time the building became a dance hall in 1962. Finally R & S Carpets took the building over as a warehouse and the photo was taken in 1984. Unfortunately the building was burned down in 1991.
Wednesfield Trinity Methodist Church
The Church was opened and a dedication took place on 17th March 1887. It was built to replace the previous church in Rookery Street, which by then was too small. Also the worshippers from Hickman Street Church joined Trinity. The merged Wednesfield Methodist Church moved to Wood End Road in 1983. Trinity was demolished due to road changes in Wednesfield town centre, which eventually never took place.
Hickman Street Methodist Chapel
The chapel was built originally to house the Primitive Methodists in 1850, who had earlier met in a cottage in Lichfield Road. The photograph shows the chapel which was built in 1885 on the adjoining site of the 1850 building. This was built by Mr. B Guest, Wolverhampton and the cost at the time was £800, and was larger and able to accommodate 120 more worshippers than the previous building. When the congregation joined Trinity Church in 1964, the chapel was demolished.
Wood End Methodist Chapel
Built in 1860 and linked originally with Willenhall Circuit rather than its neighbour Wednesfield. The photo shows the chapel in 1982 before it was demolished. Wood End became one of the other Churches which joined together to form the Church as we know it today ‘Wednesfield Methodist Community Church’. The new building was built on the same site in 1983.